- Manufacturer Sellier & Bellot
- Condition New
- Bullet Weight 405gr
- Projectile Type SP
- Ammo Use Type Deer Hunting, Elk Hunting, Range Training
- Casing Type Brass
- Quantity 20
- Caliber 45-70 Govt
- Manufacturer SKU SB4570A
- Primer Type Boxer
- Muzzle Velocity (ft. per sec) 1509
- Muzzle Energy (ft. pounds) 2044
- Magnetic No
- UPC Barcode 754908512744
- Q & A
This is the elemental 45-70 hunting cartridge, optimal for your lever-action or revolver. The 405 grain bullet’s flat nose profile means safe performance in a tubular magazine, and it also punches a wide hole into its target. The soft point’s exposed core will warp to carve an even wider wound channel still, yet its copper alloy jacket won’t allow the bullet to tear itself to shreds as it penetrates soft tissue at high velocity. A flat nose profile is never going to offer the aerodynamics of a pointed one, but we feel this round’s 0.306 ballistic coefficient (out of a 24” barrel) is serviceable for hunting throughout the 45-70’s effective range.
Sellier & Bellot implements the two components we like to see from a foreign manufacturer: nonmagnetic bullets and new brass cases. Once you’ve popped these rounds’ Boxer primers out and polished up their cases, you’ll be all set to crank out your own 45-70 loads.
Add your review to this 20 Rounds of 405gr SP .45-70 Government Ammo by Sellier & Bellot
- Is this trapdoor safe Posted On: 1/20/2022 By: Tod Hallman
- Thanks for reaching out Tod! I asked Sellier & Bellot, and they do not recommend this ammo for a Model 1873 Trapdoor. The pressure might be too much for its action to handle.