- Manufacturer Hornady
- Condition New
- Bullet Weight 110gr
- Projectile Type JHP
- Ammo Use Type Self Defense
- Casing Type Brass
- Quantity 25
- Caliber .38 Spl
- Manufacturer SKU 90310
- Primer Type Boxer
- Muzzle Velocity (ft. per sec) 1010
- Muzzle Energy (ft. pounds) 249
- Magnetic No
- UPC Barcode 090255903102
- Cost Per Round $1.24 per round
- Q & A
There are many firearms aficionados singing the praises of the .38 Special as a CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon). For new shooters, they offer a level of simplicity, because rounds can only be loaded one way and the chamber simply snaps back into place. They’re quite lightweight, especially the snub-nose models, in fact the airweight snub weighs less than one pound – loaded. They’re known for being highly accurate, and practicing is often more enjoyable due to the minimal recoil and more affordable because the cartridge tends to cost less than most others. It’s a popular gun for a reason, and if you have one, you need to keep it loaded with hollow points for concealed carry purposes.
Just like there’s more than one kind of cartridge, there’s more than one kind of hollow point. These are Hornady’s FTX, so they have some features average HP’s do not. They have a soft polymer insert in their tip, increasing rapid energy transfer and expansion on impact. Their stronger metal design controls expansion, allows for a deeper wound channel and also reduces lead fouling in your gun’s barrel. At 110 grain they’re very light, which means they have greater speed. This ammunition has a muzzle velocity of 1,010 feet per second and a muzzle energy of 249 foot-pounds. It works best in closer quarters and it’s important to hone your shot placement skills.
There are just 25 defense rounds in this box, so you can keep your .38 Special loaded for self-defense and fire a few rounds to get a feel for their greater power. You’ll find Hornady’s stellar reputation is well-deserved, and you’ll be back for more. These are from their Critical Defense line, and they are top-tier defense rounds. Hornady manufactures ammunition at their plant in Grand Island, Nebraska, and for more than 60 years they’ve been helping you protect yourself and your family by producing superior ammunition. Never cut corners on self-defense. Go with a proven leader; buy Hornady.
Add your review to this 25 Rounds of 110gr JHP .38 Spl Ammo by Hornady Critical Defense
- Is this 110 gr a low recoil round? Posted On: 10/13/2022 By: Douglas Alston
- Thanks for reaching out Douglas! I wouldn't classify it that way. A metallic cartridge's recoil energy is determined by four factors: muzzle velocity, bullet weight, propellant weight and firearm weight. This round's 110 grain projectile might be relatively lightweight for the 38 Spl, but its faster 1,010 fps muzzle velocity (which Hornady recorded with a 4" vented test barrel) is also relatively fast as well. Hornady certainly doesn't market it as a low recoil round, and they wouldn't want to limit its muzzle energy too much seeing as how it's a specialized self-defense cartridge and all. Are you specifically looking for a low-recoil self-defense round? If you give me your handgun make and model I can do some estimations on my end and recommend the lowest-recoil self-defense options we have in stock.