- Manufacturer Federal
- Condition New
- Bullet Weight 124gr
- Projectile Type JHP
- Ammo Use Type Self Defense
- Casing Type Nickel-Plated Brass
- Quantity 50
- Caliber 9mm
- Manufacturer SKU P9HST1
- Primer Type Boxer
- Muzzle Velocity (ft. per sec) 1150
- Muzzle Energy (ft. pounds) 364
- Magnetic No
- UPC Barcode 029465094621
- Cost Per Round 90.0¢ per round
- Q & A
If you carry your handgun for self defense, you keep it loaded with good quality, reliable defense ammunition. And if you use defense rounds you know there are a few features you should be looking for; right near the top of that list is the ability to retain weight. Some bullets have issues with weight retention caused by problems like the jacket separating from the core, and some don’t expand properly. Federal’s Premium Law Enforcement HST rounds are made to combat those problems with a pre-skived bullet that expands into tough lead petals which protect the cutting copper petals behind them. Those petals create maximum penetration and the ability to blow through barriers as expected by FBI standards.
These HST rounds are made for your 9mm and are a lightweight 124 grain. Being lighter weight gives them the advantage of greater speed, and they’re still heavy enough to deliver good stopping power. These are Jacketed Hollow Points; they deliver controlled expansion on impact as partially described above, penetrating deeply to create a devastating wound channel and to stop your attacker in their tracks. Each round flies down-range with impressive speed at a muzzle velocity of 1150 feet per second and slams into the target with a muzzle energy of 364 foot-pounds. These defense rounds deliver with superior weight retention and top-of-the-line penetration capabilities, even boring through heavy clothing.
When you place your order for this single box of ammunition from Federal you get 50 defense rounds. Those 50 rounds enable you to keep your gun and spare mags loaded for personal defense, but you should keep in mind the importance of getting range time in with your chosen defense rounds. Defense ammunition has more power than target rounds do, and if you only practice with target rounds you won’t be able to make accurate follow-up shots with your defense rounds. Federal manufactures ammunition at their plant in Anoka, Minnesota, and each round adheres to strict standards. Order extra boxes and put in some practice; what price tag does your life, or the lives of those you love, have?
Most Useful Review POSITIVE vs. NEGATIVE
Have made multiple purchases from ammoforsale.com you get quality ammo at a great price. Shipping has always been super ...
Add your review to this 50 Rounds of 124gr JHP HST 9mm Ammo by Federal Law Enforcement
- I have a new Glock 19 Gen 5. Will use it primarily for protection. What kind/brand of 9mm Ammo would you recommend? Something like "50 Rounds of 124gr JHP HST 9mm Ammo by Federal Law Enforcement" you have on your site or something else. Thanks Posted On: 10/22/2021 By: Carl Huff
- Thanks for reaching out Carl! In all honesty, this is the ammo I would have recommended to you even if you hadn't asked about it specifically. This is Minnesota-made police-grade self-defense ammo, considered by many (myself included) to be the very best there is. At 124 grains this 9mm round's bullet is a middleweight, so it's going to deliver good, balanced performance. The only other ammo I believe stands on the same level as this is Speer Gold Dot, which is also police-grade, but HST is just tops in my book.
I'd advise that you also puchase some training ammo so you can become more proficient with your G19's performance. I'd recommend Federal American Eagle 9mm 124gr FMJ ammo, since it's loaded to pretty similar specs as the company's HST duty ammo:
- Just bought a Glock 43x will it handle 124gr like the Federal HST above or stick with 115gr? Posted On: 8/27/2021 By: John Esposito
- Thanks for reaching out John! Your G43X should fire this ammo and any other bullet weight just fine. Really, the bullet weight you should prefer only ought to come down to personal preference.
- Will this ammo work for a Glock 43? Posted On: 3/21/2021 By: Ki
- This ammo is one of the best selections on the market for self-defense with a Glock 43.
- Is this the best ammo for a Glock 48 Posted On: 3/12/2021 By: Howard
- Thanks for reaching out Howard! This is an axcellent choice of self-defense ammo for the G48, without question.
- I just picked up a Glock 19 Gen 3 (California). I'm trying to figure out the best ammo for range as well as for protection. Posted On: 2/13/2021 By: Thom
- Thanks for reaching out Thom! I wish we had a greater variety of ammo in stock that I could recommend to you, but we have got great options for you regardless. The Federal HST ammo you see here is of exceptionally high quality, favored by law enforcement professionals across the country and considered one of the gold standards for personal protection. If you asked me to recommend the best self-defense ammo, I'd say this or Speer Gold Dot.
Now for range training, you'll naturally want more affordable FMJ ammo. For that I'd recommend the Blazer Brass ammo we have in stock for sure. It's just solid, consistent quality range ammo, reliable and accurate and little else. Ideally your range ammo would have the same bullet weight as your self-defense ammo. The HST we have in stock does have a heavier bullet than the Blazer by 9 grains, but that really won't be the end of the world as far as familiarizing yourself with your G19's performance before you would count on it for self-defense.
Please let me know if you've got any other questions! And just to be sure, the G19 is known for not being very particular about which kind of ammo it fires. Just one of the reasons for its great popularity.
- Will this work with a Springfield XD 9MM Posted On: 2/11/2021 By: Gary
- Yes sir, this is perfect ammo for self-defense with an XD!
- will these work in a LC9s Rugher? Posted On: 2/9/2021 By: Paula Beardsley
- Absolutely ma'am, this ammo is an excellent choice for self-defense with an LC9s.
- Will this ammo work with a Beretta 9mm APX dull size? Posted On: 2/7/2021 By: Kevin
- Yes sir, absolutely.
- Hi I just ordered 2 boxes of the 124gr JHP HST 9mm for my glock 48. Did I make the right purchase? Posted On: 2/5/2021 By: Jason Roberts
- I'm happy to say you did, Jason! A G48 pistol says "9x19" on its slide because it's made in Europe. That's just what they call 9mm over there. This ammo should treat your Glock perfectly.
- Work with sig P365? Posted On: 2/4/2021 By: R Capp
- This ammo will work perfectly with that handgun, or any other chambered for 9mm!
- What's the best self defense round for a G43? Posted On: 1/13/2021 By: Roger
- Well sir, that is a controvesial topic, but I would say you've picked one of very best 9mm self-defense cartridges if you went with Speer Gold Dot or Federal Personal Defense HST. There are a lot of other high quality 9mm rounds for self-defense out there like Remington Golden Saber, Hornady Critical Defense, Barnes TAC XPD, Black Hills HoneyBadger, and Winchester Defender, but you'll probably have the easiest time finding the Speer or the Federal because they're both so popular. I'm afraid we haven't got any 9mm ammo in stock at the moment, but if you go looking elsewhere at least make sure your self-defense ammo has a jacketed hollow point (JHP) bullet. That's the one that expands inside of soft tissue to more efficiently neutralize a threat.
- Is this good for ruger security 9 Posted On: 12/31/2020 By: Billy McLemore
- Absolutely Billy, this ammo should work flawlessly in a Security-9.
- Will this ammo work or perform well for a Smith & Wesson M&P Sheild? Thank you. Posted On: 12/12/2020 By: D
- Absolutely, this ammo should work flawlessly in an M&P Sheild.
- wil this ammo work in my Canik tp9sf elite ? Posted On: 12/12/2020 By: Brian
- Oh goodness yes, this ammo should function perfectly in that weapon!
- Can this ammo be used for a glock 45? Posted On: 11/30/2020 By: Paul
- Yes sir! Glock stamps their slides with "9x19," but that's just the European name for the ammo we call 9mm. This ammo is an excellent choice for personal protection with the Glock 45.
- will these rounds work on a Glock 17 Posted On: 11/25/2020 By: AMADOR HINOJOSA
- Yes sir, this ammo is a great choice for self-defense with a Glock 17.
- Is there a list, whether prepaid or notified, when this product is available? I’ll be happy to prepay. Please let me know. Thank You, Linda Posted On: 9/1/2020 By: Linda
- Hi Linda! Unfortunately we haven't got a system in place to alert our customers when ammo is back in stock, nor do we accept preorders. We do intend to offer this ammo again as soon as we are able. We're getting in new ammo daily, and updating our site just as often. I hope you'll check back in again soon to see what we can do for you!
- does.this ammo fit on my glock45.9mm Posted On: 8/30/2020 By: dennis
- Yes, sir! This is 9mm, which European manufacturers such as Glock call "9x19mm." This ammo will function correctly in your G45.
- will these bullets also work for a Smith and Wesson 9mm? Posted On: 8/29/2020 By: Nadia Soto
- Hi Nadia! If your handgun is chambered for 9mm, then this 9mm ammunition should certainly function correctly in it.
- Will it work with a sar usa single/double pistol 9mm 4.5 17 rounds? Posted On: 8/29/2020 By: Nadia Soto
- Absolutely, this ammo should work well in any CZ 75 pattern pistol, SAR USA's included.
- Will this work in my Beretta 92x? Posted On: 8/27/2020 By: Bryan
- This is perfect ammo for self-defense with a 92X! I guarantee you that tons of cops use that exact same combination of ammo and handgun
- Are these legal in New Jersey for home defense purposes? Posted On: 7/3/2020 By: Thomas Maggio
- Thanks for reaching out Thomas! Full disclaimer here: What I'm about to tell you does not constitute legal advice and all that good stuff. That said, it's my understanding that in New Jersey it is legal to own a firearm and hollow point bullets, but illegal to carry them outside of a residence without a permit. To that extent it is legal to use this ammo for home defense. The NJSP has some more info about this on their site: njsp.org/firearms/transport-hollowpoint.shtml.
- Will this work good in my glock 48 and Taurus g2c Posted On: 6/29/2020 By: Michael Needling
- Oh yes, very well – this is a top shelf self-defense cartridge developed for law enforcement professionals, made in Minnesota, and optimized to function seamless in a broad range of firearms. The HST projectile both penetrates and expands extremely reliably, and your semi-automatics should have no difficulty rapidly cycling these rounds' nickel-plated brass cases. I know several cops who swear by this stuff!
- Hello, New to firearms. I have a Glock 19, will this ammo be sufficient? Thanks. Posted On: 6/23/2020 By: Justin Gragg
- Better than sufficient – this is one of the best lines of self-defense ammo on the market, and it will function correctly in your G19. I would also advise getting some FMJ ammo for target practice. It is more economical with its non-expanding bullet, and performs similarly to self-defense ammo so you can practice with your handgun. Federal's American Eagle label is extremely popular for range shooting: ammoforsale.com/federal-9mm-ammo-for-sale-9mm124fmjae-50
- Hi...is this good for a GLOCK 43 Posted On: 6/16/2020 By: RONNI
- This self-defense ammo should function correctly in a G43. You may have an easier time handling a subcompact with 115 grain bullets, but we currently only have range ammo with that bullet weight in stock.
- Is the ready to ship quantity accurate looking at 50 Rounds of 124gr JHP HST 9mm Ammo by Federal Law Enforcement Posted On: 4/7/2020 By: Eric
- Hello Eric! As I write we have 75 boxes of this ammo in stock and ready to ship. We hope some of them can find a home with you.
- just would like to know if the 124 gr. hst NON +P have a bonded jacket to bullet? thanks, Mark Posted On: 1/19/2016 By: are the jackets and bullets bonded?
- Hello Mark, The HST is not a bonded bullet design. Federal uses a mechanical locking of the jacket to the core to resist jacket separation.