- Manufacturer Speer
- Condition New
- Bullet Weight 230gr
- Projectile Type JHP
- Ammo Use Type Self Defense
- Casing Type Nickel-Plated Brass
- Quantity 20
- Caliber .45 ACP
- Manufacturer SKU 23966GD
- Primer Type Boxer
- Muzzle Velocity (ft. per sec) 890
- Muzzle Energy (ft. pounds) 405
- UPC Barcode 076683239662
- Cost Per Round $1.75 per round
- Q & A
Vernon Speer has been an innovator since the beginning; when he was just 21, he invented a new airplane engine, and in order to prove it would work he installed it and took the plane up. Of course the engine worked, and Vernon took that same hard-charging attitude into the ammunition world when he founded Speer Bullets in 1944. They started small, renting space in the basement of a grocery store, but it wasn’t long before a full-size factory was obviously needed. Property adjacent to the Snake River in Lewiston, Idaho, was purchased, and to this day Speer’s ammunition is manufactured in that same factory.
One of Speer’s greatest creations is Gold Dot ammunition. These particular rounds are for your .45 ACP and weigh in at a solid 230 grain. Because they’re heavy they’re capable of delivering massive stopping power, but there’s more to them than that. These are Hollow Point rounds and begin to expand at the moment of impact. They deliver rapid energy transfer and as they mushroom, they begin to slow down; their expansion creates a devastating wound channel and their slowing speed prevents over-penetration, protecting innocent bystanders. Each round has a muzzle velocity of 890 feet per second and muzzle energy of 404 foot-pounds. This is excellent self-defense ammunition.
There are 20 defense rounds in this box of ammunition from Speer. Not only are Gold Dots fantastic defense rounds, they’re trusted by a vast number of law enforcement officers. When professionals in the field of law enforcement rely on a particular ammunition, you know there must be good reasons. These rounds deliver reliable performance, consistent cycling, and enormous knockdown power, all things you want in a defense round. When it comes to your own personal safety, and the safety of those you love, you can’t trust just any ammunition. Load your gun with the ammunition trusted by members of law enforcement; load your gun with Speer Gold Dots.
Most Useful Review POSITIVE vs. NEGATIVE
As a former SWAT team member, I can comfortably say they are the best rounds for any 1911. My Kimber custom ll delivers ...
Great dependable ammo.on 1/4/2018
A friend turned me into these a while back. Have shot thousands of toppings with them and have find them to be very trustworthy.
Great defensive ammoon 7/19/2016
Speer,once again has made an excellent defensive rd. I use this in my 1911 with 0 malfunctions. Speer makes ammo I will stake my life on. I also use their 135 gr +P .38 SPCL in my snubnose. I fully trust this ammo to defend myself and loved ones.
good defensive but higher priced than reloadson 12/21/2015
Great defensive ammo, thank god that I have never needed it for that but it is there by my side all the time in case.
Add your review to this 20 Rounds of 230gr JHP .45 ACP Ammo by Speer
- Do you carry 45 long colt ammo and if so please tell me brands quantity and price of each Posted On: 3/25/2021 By: Richard Truman
- Thanks for reaching out Richard! We haven't currently got any 45 LC ammo in stock. I hope for that to change soon, so I hope you'll check back in again shortly!
- I have a colt 1911 and a 1911 made by ithica arms . I have been told to use only FMJ rounds to prevent jamming . I do not know what jhp means . I will use these guns for self defense. can you suggest a good ammo for these guns ? Can Iuse the same ammo for both guns ? Posted On: 3/9/2021 By: harold
- Thanks for reaching out Harold! JHP means "jacketed hollow point." It's the bullet that's designed for self-defense, as it expands inside soft tissue to gouge a wider wound channel while simultaneously exerting more lateral energy. A JHP can also help prevent overpenetration from jeopardizing innocent bystanders. The JHP is the same type of bullet police officers use because it's more effective than an FMJ (full metall jacket) at neutralizing a threat. In short, the JHP does greater damage.
You would ideally not use FMJ ammo for self-defense, but since both of your handguns might jam without it you haven't really got that option. But if it's any consolation, the U.S. Army uses FMJ ammo – any soldier who has carried a 1911 into a battle had FMJ ammo in his magazine. We don't have any 45 ACP in stock at the moment, but I'd recommend any American-made ammo with a 230 grain FMJ bullet loaded to a muzzle velocity around 835 fps (doesn't have to be exact). That's the classic 45 ACP round which the 1911 was specifically designed to fire.
- I would like to order some ammo. I understand their out of stock. Can i pay forward for 2 boxes of gold dot .45 ammo Posted On: 3/19/2020 By: Ronald F. Lachance
- We dearly appreciate your confidence in us, sir, but we regret that we're not set up to take payment for ammo we haven't yet got in stock. We're uncharasterically low on ammo at the moment owing to the recent public health scare. That said, we're hard at work replenishing our inventory and will add more quality products to our site as things return to normal. Please see if there's some other self-defense ammo you'd be interested in, or check back in with us in the near future. Thank you for bearing with us!