- Manufacturer Federal
- Condition New
- Bullet Weight 115gr
- Projectile Type JHP
- Ammo Use Type Self Defense
- Casing Type Brass
- Quantity 50
- Caliber 9mm
- Manufacturer SKU 9BP
- Primer Type Boxer
- Muzzle Velocity (ft. per sec) 1160
- Muzzle Energy (ft. pounds) 344
- Magnetic No
- UPC Barcode 029465088163
- Q & A
Personal carry for self-defense is serious. Not only must a self-defense shooter be proficient with their chosen firearm – and quick – but it is vital to load your concealed carry weapon with the right ammunition. FMJ rounds are fine for training purposes; they save money and enable you to put in more practice than you might otherwise manage. But they don’t expand when they make impact; they simply penetrate fully and keep going. That tendency to produce a small through-and-through wound track and move on to strike a potentially innocent bystander is why FMJ rounds cannot be used for civilian self-defense purposes.
For personal protection, you need to carry rounds that mushroom, like these JHP rounds. These hollow points offer rapid energy transfer, expand on impact, and begin to decelerate; they’re designed not to over-penetrate. Since they’re jacketed, the rounds have increased strength from the harder metals and are far less prone to lead fouling the barrel of your gun. The 9mm is an incredibly popular gun for concealed carry, partly due to its greater affordability, but also due to its lower recoil and higher magazine capacity. These 115 grains are lightweight, preserving your recoil expectations, and have a muzzle velocity of 1,160 feet per second and a muzzle energy of 344 foot-pounds.
There are 50 rounds of Federal defense rounds in this box. That’s a good number, because you can set it in your safe and load a magazine for concealed carry use. You can also practice with it a bit, because defense rounds feel different than target rounds, and it’s good to be used to that difference. Federal’s ammunition is all produced at their Anoka, Minnesota, plant to stringent standards. They’ve been in business for almost a century, and their experience shows in the quality of these rounds. Don’t conceal carry with just any ammunition. You need hollow points, and these American-made rounds provide the reliability and strength you need.
Add your review to this Federal 115gr JHP 9mm Ammo
- What type of round does the mfg call for in the Ruger ec9s Posted On: 8/29/2018 By: Gary
- They recommend a good quality brass cased ammo. 115 or 124 grain will both be acceptable. This particular Hi-Shok would be a great self defense choice. As far as Range ammo goes, It would be hard to go wrong with the Federal American Eagle.
- Your Federal Classic 115grain jhp, are they 9BP? Posted On: 1/12/2013 By: Pat
- This is correct. Federal's part number for this ammo is 9BP.